Hormonal fluctuations trigger more oil production inside the pore. Normally, this isn’t a problem because the dead skin cells don’t get trapped. But with acne prone-skin, when the dead skin cells shed more quickly and form a blockage, the perfect environment for the P. Acnes bacteria is created. The oil is a nutrient for the bacteria, so the bacteria proliferates. So bacteria is not the “cause” of acne, it is the effect of too many dead skin cells. This is an important distinction to remember.
Some people don’t get inflamed lesions — inflammation is also an inherited tendency which causes the tender red acne bumps and even deep cystic acne. If the dead skin cells and the oil that form the plug don’t become inflamed, the plug becomes a whitehead; that is, a non-inflamed lesion or bump under the skin, also called a “closed comedone”. It can also take the form of blackheads, where the pore remains open the tip of the plug darkens as it is exposed to oxygen in the environment. As the oil in the pore builds up, inflammation can develop in the cells surrounding the pore. Blackheads can be infected or not depending on whether the P. acnes bacteria have affected the cells around the pore.
Most acne, no matter what form it takes, starts with microcomedones. This means the solution lies in products that penetrate the pore and prevent dead skin cells from building up. That’s why your home care routine is so crucial — it’s all about preventing the microcomedones (the beginning of acne) from forming at all. Paired with in-office treatments to remove the build up of debris from the pores, this is the best way to clear acne.
- determine your skin type, acne type and skin tolerance
- go over aggravating factors that make you break out – foods, medications, cosmetics and skin care products, stress, etc.
- give you a packet of information that has everything that we discuss in the consultation
- give you recommendations for the products and treatments you will need to get clear
- (and, if you are getting a treatment the same visit) perform the acne treatment, which includes exfoliation and extractions
- schedule your next treatment appointments
- We have more time to spend with a client.
- We listen carefully to their concerns.
- We touch and feel the skin each time they come in.
- We keep updated with the latest and greatest information in the world of acne.
- We have the best and most effective acne products with no need for prescription drugs or products.
- We have compassion and empathy for the client.
- We give the client honest and straightforward answers.
- We have a system that will work to get their skin clear!
- We coach the client through every step of the process of getting their skin clear. They are not left to figure it out on their own.
- We create a close communicative relationship with the acne client.
- The client does not have to put up with irritated, dry skin while getting clear.